Things to know about dry skin and ways to banish it
Your skin plays a vital role in ensuring your good health. It is the body’s first line of defense against anything that might harm us in the environment. Dry skin is an uncomfortable condition which is marked by itching, scaling and cracking. While one might have a naturally dry skin, one having an oily skin might also experience it from time to time. This condition occurs due to lack of appropriate amount of water in the epidermis, the most superficial layer of the skin. While males and females are equally affected by this skin condition, the older individuals are more prone to dry skin.
Symptoms and causes of dry skin
Symptoms of dry skin may vary depending on your health, age, time spent outside and most importantly the cause of the dry skin. The most common symptoms are fine lines or cracks, redness, itching, flaking, scaling or peeling and roughness in the skin.
In most cases, dry skin has an environmental cause. However, there can be other possible reasons too. Potential causes of are:
- Low humidity level can result in a dry skin. So, places with central heating and fireplaces can cause dryness as they tend to reduce the humidity level.
- One might not be surprised to know that skin tends to be driest in winter.
- Dry skin can also be caused by some soaps, shampoos, and detergents. These products contain chemicals that dry the skin’s natural oils.
- Hard water, which is tap water containing a high concentration of minerals like magnesium, lead, and zinc, can be one cause.
- People who are already affected with some skin conditions such as atopic dermatitis or psoriasis are also prone to dry skin.
Treatment and lifestyle remedies for Dry skin
Lifestyle measures have proven to be very effective in curing the dry skin. However, if you have an extremely dry and scaly skin, invest in an over-the-counter cream that contains lactic acid. In cases someone is experiencing a more severe condition such as atopic dermatitis or psoriasis; they may be required to use the prescribed creams and ointments.
Some of the effective lifestyle remedies are:
- Hot water should be avoided to bath or shower
- Shower time to be restricted to 10 minutes
• Moisturizers must be applied immediately after showering or bathing.
- Drink plenty of water every day.
- Be very selective about the soap you use, use only moisturizing soaps.
- Use natural products such as honey, milk cream, and coconut oil as they are proven to be extremely effective on dry skin.
- Here are some more tips to soothe your dry skin.
Dry skin is usually harmless. However, if you’re experiencing this skin condition for a very long time, immediately consult a doctor as it may lead to more severe skin infection.
If you are looking for a natural and effective cure for dry skin, try homeopathy. Contact My Pure Wellness, in Toronto, Canada for a personalized treatment plan.
About Safaa Elbanna
Safaa Elbanna is a certified Homeopath and Holistic Skin Care Practitioner and a retired Dermatologist and Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto, Canada. Safaa helps busy working ladies avoid the aging effect of physical and mental stress, especially on the skin through natural, homeopathy medicines and techniques.